I am currently the Creative Director of Hadyn Grey Copywriting Agency. My day job as a copywriter involves writing the words for a number of businesses all over the country and abroad – from websites to brochures to global reports. It’s all about making sure that what a business wants to say is clear and easy to understand. I’m also an associate lecturer in BA (Hons) Fashion Communication at Northumbria University.
My other past career opportunities/experiences include:
• Winning a Blue Peter badge.
• Working as a receptionist at Barings Bank.
• Freelance journalist – B Magazine, Woman’s Journal, Coast Magazine.
• Framer and sales assistant at The Smith Gallery in Teddington.
• Mum of two amazing kids.
• Lived in Singapore for two years – studied creative writing and photography.
• Represented Tyne and Wear in ‘What is England’ photography project.
• MA (Distinction) in Creative Writing at Northumbria Uni (wrote a miserable screenplay).
My hobbies and other interests include:
• Cooking Asian food.
• Photography – have worked as a professional photographer.
• Cycling up the coast in search of coffee and cheese scones.
• Friend of the Tyneside Cinema – love Spanish and French films.
• Favourite author – Haruki Murakami.
I decided to work with TICE because I simply loved the idea of bridging the gap between school and work – wish I had something like it when I was at school to show me what was possible in the creative industries.
TICE works to bring students into contact with a range of industries and jobs that they may not even know exist. I didn’t know copywriting was a career until I’d been doing it, albeit for friends and unpaid, for a couple of years alongside my job as a receptionist. Now I earn my living from doing it and love it. You can make a career out of doing something you love. Really, you can. Sharpen your pencils, follow your dreams.